A surgical technologist, also known as a scrub tech, surgical technician, or operating room technical, is an allied health professional who works in the operating room alongside surgeons and other healthcare professionals before, during, and after surgical procedures.
- Prepare and sterilize surgical instruments and equipment
- Assist surgeons during surgical procedures
- Anticipate the needs of the surgical team during procedures
- Ensure that the operating room is properly equipped and set up for each procedure
- Maintain a sterile field during surgical procedures
- Perform counts of surgical instruments, sponges, and needles before and after procedures
- Dispose of contaminated supplies and equipment appropriately
- Monitor and assess the condition of patients during procedures
- Prepare patients for surgery, including positioning and prepping
- Completion of a surgical technologist training program or equivalent education and experience
- Certification as a surgical technologist (CST) by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) or other recognized certification organization
- Knowledge of surgical instruments and procedures
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team in a fast-paced, high-stress environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to maintain a sterile environment during surgical procedures
- Physical ability to stand for long periods of time, lift and move heavy equipment and patients, and perform repetitive tasks
If you're looking to hire a skilled and experienced Surgical Technologist, you need to start by creating an impressive and effective job posting. A job posting is the first interaction you will have with potential candidates, so it's crucial to make a strong first impression. To help you create a compelling job posting that will attract the right candidates, we've put together a guide with some key elements that should be included.
Job Title and Description
- Start with a clear job title that accurately reflects the role and responsibilities of the position. For example, Surgical Technologist, Operating Room Technician, or Surgical Assistant.
- Provide a concise and accurate job description that highlights the key duties and responsibilities of the role. This could include preparing and sterilizing surgical instruments, assisting the surgeon during procedures, and ensuring the operating room is set up for each case.
A well-written job description will help candidates understand what's expected of them and give them a sense of whether or not they are a good fit for the role.
Required Education and Experience
- List the required education and certification for the role. This could include having a degree in surgical technology and being a certified surgical technologist.
- Provide information about the required work experience, whether it's an entry-level position or requires several years of experience.
Providing clear requirements for the role will help to ensure that only qualified candidates apply, saving you time and resources in the hiring process.
Skills and Qualifications
- List the specific skills and qualifications that candidates should possess. This could include strong attention to detail, the ability to work well under pressure, and excellent communication skills.
- Highlight any specific surgical specialties that the candidate should be familiar with, such as orthopedics or neurosurgery.
Outlining the desired skills and qualifications will help ensure that the right candidates apply for the job, as well as give you a better idea of what to look for during the hiring process.
- Provide some background information about your company, including its values, culture, and mission statement.
- Explain why working for your company is a great opportunity, highlighting any benefits or unique features that set your company apart.
A well-crafted company description can help attract candidates who share your values and are excited about working for your organization.
Creating an effective job posting for a Surgical Technologist is an important step in the hiring process. By including key information such as the job title and description, educational and experience requirements, desired skills and qualifications, and information about your company, you can attract the right candidates and find the perfect person for the job. Good luck!
Frequently asked questions on creating Surgical Technologist job posting
Creating a job posting is the first step towards hiring the best-suited candidate for a Surgical Technologist role. However, writing an effective job posting isn't always easy. Here are some frequently asked questions that can guide you in creating an outstanding Surgical Technologist job posting:
What are the most important requirements for a Surgical Technologist job posting?
What should I include in the job title and summary?
The job title and summary is the first thing that job seekers will read, so it's crucial to make it attention-grabbing and informative. The job title should be clear and specific, and the summary should give a brief overview of the role and its responsibilities. Make sure to also include:
How should I describe the company culture?
The company culture should be mentioned in the job posting to give job seekers a better idea of the kind of work environment they can expect. Include information on the management style, mission statement, and values of the organization.
What are the key skills and abilities required for a Surgical Technologist?
Some critical skills and abilities for Surgical Technologist role include:
What should I include in the responsibilities and duties section?
The responsibilities and duties section should be detailed and specific. It should outline the essential tasks that the successful candidate will be expected to perform daily, such as:
Should I include benefits in the job posting?
Yes, it's essential to include information on employee benefits, as it gives job seekers an idea of the general value of the role. Benefits to include are:
Creating a job posting for a Surgical Technologist role can be a daunting task, but by considering these frequently asked questions, you can create an informative and effective posting that will attract the best candidates.