The Technical Designer will work closely with the design and development teams to ensure that all products meet technical specifications while also maintaining design integrity. They will be responsible for the technical design of garments as well as approving samples and ensuring that production timelines are met.
- Create detailed technical specifications for all garments
- Collaborate with design team to ensure that technical specifications are in line with design goals
- Review and approve samples to ensure that they meet technical specifications
- Identify and troubleshoot technical issues that may arise during the production process
- Manage and maintain accurate records of all technical specifications and approvals
- Work with production team to ensure that all garments meet quality standards
- Communicate technical information to all relevant stakeholders
- Stay up-to-date with emerging technologies and techniques in the apparel industry
- Bachelor's degree in fashion design, textile science, or related field
- 3+ years of experience in technical design
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and PLM software
- Strong knowledge of garment construction, textiles, and manufacturing processes
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Able to stand for extended periods of time
- Able to lift and carry 25 pounds
- Able to use manual dexterity to manipulate small objects
Technical designers are professionals who work in the fashion industry and collaborate with design teams to create garment sketches, technical drawings, and specifications for manufacturing. They are responsible for creating production patterns, product samples, and coordinating with vendors for sourcing of materials. Hiring a technical designer can take your fashion business to the next level of success. Here's how to create a technical designer job posting that attracts qualified applicants.
Use a clear and concise job title such as "Technical Designer" or "Fashion Technical Designer". This will help potential candidates find your job posting easily and understand the role's key responsibilities.
- List the technical designer's responsibilities, including creating technical drawings, production patterns, and product samples.
- Specify the qualifications required for the job, such as a degree in Fashion Design, CAD expertise, familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Include the necessary skills, like excellent attention to detail and organization to create precise and efficient patterns and drawings.
- Highlight preferred skills and past working experience such as proficiency in software like Gerber or Lectra, working with vendors and manufacturers, or skill with different fabrication.
- Outline the essential abilities that the candidate must demonstrate, such as solid verbal and written communication, project management, the ability to multitask, work in a team, and work to deadlines.
- Detail how the candidate will collaborate with design teams and provide technical and production support.
Explain your fashion company's history, vision, and goals to provide job seekers with an overview of your organization's culture and ethos. Make sure to explain how a Technical Designer can the company achieve its business goals. Include the company's name, address, and steps applicants should take to submit their applications.
Job Posting Structure:
- Job Title
- Job Description
- Required Experience, Qualifications, Skills
- Preferred Experience, Qualifications, Skills
- Company Overview
- How to apply details such as email or link to online application, application deadline
The technical designer job posting is an essential document that sets the tone for the candidate's engagement with your company. Use a clear and concise job title, write a comprehensive job description, highlight essential and preferred skills and past experience, share your company's overview, and outline how candidates can apply. Be thorough and specific about what you are looking for in a Technical Designer so you can find the best talent to support your business goals.
What is a Technical Designer?
A Technical Designer is a professional who works in the fashion industry and are responsible for overseeing the technical design aspects of apparel production. They are responsible for ensuring that the finished product is correctly constructed, fits properly, and is suitable for mass production.
What are the job requirements for a Technical Designer?
- A degree in fashion design or a related field
- Strong knowledge of clothing construction and pattern making
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in using computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Attention to detail and ability to manage deadlines
What are the main duties of a Technical Designer?
As a Technical Designer, your main responsibilities will include:
- Creating technical sketches, construction details, and specifications for apparel samples
- Collaborating with designers, pattern makers, and production teams to ensure designs can be manufactured efficiently
- Reviewing sample garments for accuracy in fit, construction, and quality
- Communicating with overseas factories to resolve issues and ensure production quality
Can a Technical Designer work remotely?
Yes, it is possible for a Technical Designer to work remotely. However, they will need to have access to the appropriate tools, such as CAD software, and be able to communicate effectively with their teams, often across multiple locations.
What is the salary range for a Technical Designer?
The salary range for a Technical Designer can vary depending on experience and location. In the United States, the average salary for a Technical Designer is around $60,000. However, salaries can range from $35,000 to $100,000 depending on the company and location.
What skills are essential for success as a Technical Designer?
Some of the essential skills for success as a Technical Designer include:
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Understanding of garment construction, fit and fabric types
- Ability to problem-solve and make quick decisions under pressure