Overall Job Purpose:
The Yard Driver is responsible for operating heavy-duty trucks and tractors to move trailers and other equipment around the yard and within warehouse premises. They ensure proper maintenance of the vehicles and adhere to all safety rules and regulations.
- Operate heavy-duty trucks and tractors to move loaded and empty trailers around the yard
- Provide transportation of trailers between the facility and nearby locations in a timely and safe manner
- Perform routine maintenance and check-ups on vehicles to ensure smooth operation
- Ensure compliance with all safety regulations, including vehicle inspection, hazard perception, and defensive driving
- Track and maintain accurate records of equipment usage and inspection results
Skills and Qualifications:
- Valid Class A CDL and relevant driving experience
- Prior experience in operating heavy-duty trucks and tractors
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work with a team
- Attention to detail and ability to follow directions
- Good physical health with the ability to lift heavy objects
If you are reliable, safety-conscious, and have a passion for operating heavy equipment, we encourage you to apply and join our team!
Are you looking to fill a Yard Driver position at your company? Posting a job description online is a great way to attract potential candidates and find the perfect fit for your team. Here are some tips on how to create an effective Yard Driver job posting.
Job Title and Overview
The job title should clearly state the position, so candidates know exactly what they are applying for. A Yard Driver job posting should outline the responsibilities of the role and the qualifications needed to perform them. A well-written job overview will also give an idea of the company culture and what the expectations are for the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities should be described in detail. This will give the potential applicants a clear understanding of what they will be responsible for if they get hired. Listed below are some general responsibilities of a Yard Driver:
- Drive and operate a yard truck or shuttle within the company premises.
- Transport containers and trailers from one location to another.
- Inspect vehicles for defects and report any damages to the supervisor.
- Follow safety regulations and company policies.
Under this section, you will list qualifications required for the position. This includes the skills, experience, and education needed to perform the job successfully. Here are some common requirements for Yard Driver job postings:
- A high school diploma or GED Certificate.
- A valid commercial driver's license (CDL).
- Experience with navigating heavy machinery and equipment.
- Knowledge of safety regulations and procedures.
Salary and Benefits
The salary and benefits section will give your potential candidates an idea of what they will receive in return for their work. This includes compensation packages, health benefits, retirement plans, and any additional perks offered by your company.
Creating an effective Yard Driver job posting is essential to attract top talent to your company. Be clear, concise, and detailed in the description of the responsibilities, qualifications, and compensation offered. Remember to also highlight the benefits of working with your company, such as a good company culture. By following these tips, you will find the ideal candidate to join your team.
What is a Yard Driver?
A Yard Driver is a professional driver who operates a truck or other heavy-duty vehicle, primarily around a transportation yard, warehouse or distribution center. They are responsible for moving trailers or other equipment around the yard and keeping everything organized.
What are the requirements for a Yard Driver?
Most Yard Driver positions require a high school diploma or GED. A valid CDL license is needed with a clean driving record. Drivers must obtain clearance for hazardous materials and pass a DOT physical. Employers may also require several years of professional driving experience.
What are the typical duties of a Yard Driver?
What skills are required for a Yard Driver job?
To be a successful Yard Driver, you should have good communication skills, be detail-oriented, and able to anticipate problems. You should also be physically fit and able to stand, sit, and walk for extended periods of time. Problem-solving skills are essential, as you may encounter unexpected situations in the yard profession.
What is the average salary of a Yard Driver?
The median pay for Yard Drivers varies depending on the region and the size of the company. According to PayScale, the average hourly rate is about $18 with a range of $13 to $24 per hour.
What benefits are available for Yard Drivers?
Benefits can vary by employer but typically include health insurance, dental, vision, retirement plans, and paid time off. Some employers offer flexible schedules or the option to work weekends as well.
What are the work hours for a Yard Driver?
The work hours for a Yard Driver are often flexible but depend on the employer's needs. Some positions may require night or weekend shifts as well, but most positions in this field are full-time.